Saturday, November 5, 2011

John Mark McMillan.

I am loving John Mark McMillan right now. I really can't get enough. His new album Economy has pretty much been on repeat for the last week. Why do I like JMM, you ask? Well, I'll tell you...

1. He's got this incredibly powerful voice yet when you watch him sing it looks like it's effortlessly flowing out of him.
2. He makes me a believer in the electric guitar. You know how much I love the acoustic. This guy makes me like the electric. That says something, folks.
3. He's got the sound that I don't know why, but the way I want to describe it is a "deep South" vibe. If you listen to him, you'll see/hear what I mean.
4. Whoever the girl is that sings harmony for him is great. She totally adds something awesome. I want to be her. Add it to the lists of dream jobs.
5. His lyrics are pretty great. I know lyrics are generally the first thing most people pay attention to, but not me. When I attempt to listen though, John Mark McMillan is really poetic.
(5b. I wanted to keep the list at 5, but remembered that I like how he uses "ohhhs" a lot in his music. My brother Cory pointed out how "ohhh" is like an extra word in JMM's vocabulary. He does use it a lot, but it's powerful, in a simple, "words aren't needed" kind of way.)
(5c. Ok, one more thing. It doesn't sound like Christian music, but it is. I like that, too.)

Anyway... all that to say. You should check him out. Here are some videos from this acoustic series he's been doing. Pretty incredible, if you ask me.

No comments: