Monday, April 4, 2011

5 Moments When I'm Happiest...

Yesterday I was driving with the windows down. The weather outside was glorious. I had my music turned up. Not a care in the world. Now I know, I've blogged so many times about how I love driving with the windows down. This is nothing new. But yesterday when I was doing it, I thought to myself (as I often do when I'm driving with the windows down), "I am completely happy right now." It may seem a bit strange that something as minor and insignificant as driving with the windows down could evoke such a sure emotion, but it did, and it does. So it got me thinking, "What else in my life brings this kind of happiness?"

Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite movies. At the end of the movie (spoiler alert! as if you didn't suspect it...), when Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy finally get together and are married, Elizabeth tells Darcy that he can only call her "Mrs. Darcy" when he is "completely, perfectly, and incandescently happy." The list that follows consists of things that evoke that kind of happiness in me.


5 Things That Make Me Completely, Perfectly, and Incandescently Happy:


1. Driving with the windows down. Duh. That's why I listed this first. See the reason above.

2. Singing: specifically leading people in worship. I love to sing. It makes me happy. It's funny, for a generally insecure person, when I get in front of people and start singing, all of my insecurities and worries go away. It's not because of the musical talent I may or may not have. I think it's because I was created to sing and lead people in worship. So when I do it... I'm just happy.

3. Laughing. Now I know that that seems like a "what came first: the chicken or the egg?" kind of statement. If I'm happy, I'm going to laugh. But I love to laugh. It's not just a reaction of happiness, I actually love the action of laughing. This is hard to explain, but it makes sense in my mind, which I suppose is all that matters.

4. Playing games. I love playing games. There are few activities that I enjoy more than playing games. I especially love to win at games. :) It's not my fault. I'm a Thomason. We love to win. But I love playing games even win I lose. That shows how much I truly love it.

5. Talking to people about life. It makes me really happy when people feel comfortable enough with me that they can open up about life. A few weeks ago a co-worker told me, and only me (at work at least), that he was planning to propose to his girlfriend that weekend. A month earlier this same co-worker said, "No, I don't want to." when I said to him, "So, tell me something about yourself." We've come a long way. I love that.


What makes you happy...?

2 comments:

Aunt Cindy said...

Reading your blog!
Listening to you sing
Playing games with family
Laughing with you
Driving with my windows down, and the air conditioner on.
Knowing that in less then 40 days I will be retired.
Reading your blog!

Jessie said...

Hearing my boys say funny things.
Snuggling with aforementioned boys.
Pedicures.
Cooking.
Beating Jon at games.