Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spring Trees in Missouri.

Flowering Dogwood - Missouri's State Tree
Besides the fact that the calendar indicates that Spring is here, we're actually starting to catch a glimpse of it! (actually, Summer even decided to stop by unannounced the other day with a record high of 91 degrees, but thankfully Spring is back... for now.) How I know Spring is here? We've had a tornado watch, we've had an unexpected hail storm, we've had weather in the 90s one day and in the 40s the next... But more importantly we've had days like yesterday: sunny and 60s, the grass is starting to green, I've busted out the flip flops and skirts again....

One thing I specifically love about spring is the budding and blooming of the trees. Sure, there are lots of flowers that bloom and are beautiful. But something that I love about Missouri is how beautiful the trees get in the spring. While doing a little bit of research I came across some information about the trees on the Missouri Department of Conservation website. They way they described things is better written than anything I could come up with, so here it is: "Although we're accustomed to celebrating the annual show of fall color, Missouri's flowering trees of spring deserve as much fanfare. The sight of serviceberry and redbud blossoms can banish the last of your winter blues."

So true. Here are a few pictures I found to demonstrate the beautiful trees that make Spring such a special time. I can't take credit for these pictures, but you better believe I'm going to try to make some time to get out and snap some shots of my own.
Wild Plum
Eastern Redbud

1 comment:

Valeria said...

I love and miss Missouri dogwood trees:) We have just a few scattered about here with our lovely azalea bushes.