Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Try-It Tuesday: Easy Pad Thai with Chicken.


Today's post is brought to you by...

Our brand new dishwasher!

I haven't had a functioning dishwasher since I moved in to this new place two months ago. Hand washing dishes isn't difficult, but oh my gosh, I missed a dishwasher. I even found myself not wanting to cook because I didn't want to clean up the mess. But today, my friends, today we got a dishwasher! So I decided to break it in with a new meal...

Easy Pad Thai with Chicken. This recipe was indeed easy but it does have a few ingredients that are strange. Fish oil (I almost gave up on the recipe when I smelled this stuff.) And tamarind paste (which I attempted to find a substitute because I couldn't find it in the store.) Despite those though... the recipe was a winner. I was actually shocked at how good it was.

*A few changes
-In place of tamarind paste I actually used peach preserves (call me crazy) - but a lot of sites will tell you equal parts brown sugar and lemon juice to get the correct amount
-The recipe tells you to add carrots as a garnish after the fact, but the idea of cold hard carrots in the middle of my pad thai wasn't appetizing, so I added them when I added the noodles.
-I didn't use any cornstarch - for some reason it didn't make the move with me and I didn't realize I didn't have any. My sauce was still plenty thick so I don't think it's necessary.
-Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Looks yummy. I totally leave out fish oil, oyster sauce, etc...always. I think I may have made something similar in one pot.

Katie said...

OMG THAT'S MY FAVORITE DISHHHH I'M SO JEALOUS YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE ITTTT :(