Sunday, February 9, 2014

A dozen cupcakes… times ten.


You like how I posted about how I wanted to blog more and then didn't blog? That's awesome…

Moving on. 

I baked a lot this week. It was my church's 6 year anniversary today and they asked me to bake cupcakes for the celebration. I was originally tasked to bake 240 cupcakes while my friend was going to bake a cake. Thankfully… my friend volunteered to split the cupcakes with me and we let Costco provide the cake. That took the order to 120 cupcakes…

We originally were going to keep things simple: different variations of chocolate and vanilla cupcakes and frosting. Then I decided that was boring and that it'd be fun to complicate things like I normally do. I told my friend she could do the chocolate and vanilla and I would make different flavors… The cupcakes were a hit. So I thought I'd share the recipes with you. Just in case you ever want to mix things up from the usual chocolate and vanilla.

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. I have made this in cake form before but never in a cupcake. I would recommend starting with a bake time of about 16 minutes. I started with 18 and they were a little overdone. 

Funfetti with Buttercream Frosting. I'm not ashamed: I used a box mix. I went with Pillsbury. And then I made my own buttercream frosting. 

Mocha Cupcakes with Mocha Frosting. These were some of the fastest to go…

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes. I used Martha Stewart's recipe for the cupcakes but use a different recipe than the recipe she recommends for the frosting. It's simply 3 sticks of unsalted butter (room temp), 4 cups of powdered sugar, and 1 tsp of vanilla. Cream the butter then gradually add the powdered sugar and once it's combined add the vanilla. (This time I also added a little cream to make it lighter.) Then of course, you sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar and something magical is born.

Happy cupcaking!

No comments: