Saturday, February 12, 2011

Baking Post for Sarah

The other day I skyped with my blog friend Sarah. I feel like we are getting closer and closer to being legit friends now that we've skyped though. I had to give her a verbal account of how all the HDG stuff went down, so we talked about that and just life in general. It was kind of great actually... and felt way more natural than it should have. We just need to meet in real life so we can stop feeling like creepers. Maybe someday...

Anyway, Sarah said she missed my baking posts (which was quite nice of her to say.) So, here is one just for her. I made a cake a few weekends ago that was pretty ridiculous. It was a Lego cake. It was a friend from church, and she wanted it to be Lego themed and her son wanted it to be all chocolate. So... I made a chocolate on chocolate cake shaped like a Lego and scattered real Legos all around it. I've realized these kinds of cakes stress me out. I was cursing myself for agreeing to do such a cake. But once I put my headphones on and my world was filled with Andrew Belle (more to come on him later) I got in the zone and actually enjoyed myself.

Anyway, the cake is above. I had a request for a cake for a friend's daughter who wanted it shaped like a ballerina slipper. Really? A ballerina slipper shaped cake? You'd be proud of me (or at least the me that was cursing myself during the Lego cake would be proud of me) because I said no! But I did agree to do a cake that has a ballerina slipper on it... I also agreed to do a cake that looks like the cake below from Annie's Eats. This is for my dear friend Corrie's daughter Gracious, whose cake I decorated last year (remember this one? It's one of my favorites...). I had to say yes... I have a reputation to uphold. :)

3 comments:

sarah said...

i LOVE this post for several reasons:
- we are totally going to be legit, non-creeping friends one day. i just wish you lived in houston because you would be so fun to hangout with!
- that lego cake is RIDIC. are those upside down cupcake halves for the bumps on top?
- how the heck would you make a ballerina shoe?! unless wilton has a mold... good call
- and yes, i do still miss your baking posts. basically i miss our pre-employed days when we both had too much time and did too much baking. i got a little carried away this weekend and made: cupcakes, pumpkin crunch cake, and cherry cheesecake bars... photos made them look inedible, so they weren't posted :)

Valeria said...

thanks for saying something sarah, i missed her baking posts too:) and abby, jonathan's going to want a lego cake as soon as he sees this. the boy's still in love with his building blocks.
i can't wait to see the pretty cake from annie's eats, it's precious in the picture.

Jessie said...

So...you are baking two cakes now? Don't forget, Eli's b-day is coming. But I just ask for your help in making ridiculous looking cakes with turds on them. I'll have to ask him what he wants this year. maybe he'll say cookie monster again. That one was pretty great.