Sunday, February 28, 2010

Busy weekend...

I haven't really stopped going since I woke up on Friday morning (I guess 11:00 am is closer to afternoon, isn't it?) I got right to baking and have been going non-stop since.

Friday afternoon I baked a Peanut Butter Cup Cake (recipe courtesy of one of my favorite baking blogs, Bakerella) for a dinner with some friends of the family. I decided to try out a different peanut butter/chocolate cake to see which one I liked better (the other being this cake). Verdict is still out. Mom prefers this one, Dad prefers the other... I don't know what I prefer. Thankfully both recipes turned out really well!

I also baked a cake on Friday afternoon for a guy that I sing with at church. It was his birthday on Saturday so I thought I'd bring a cake for him for Saturday night service. Really, I'm not that nice... I just jump on any excuse I have to bake a cake. This cake was decent but not spectacular... I used this yellow cake recipe and this chocolate frosting recipe. The yellow cake was great, but with the frosting it turned into just ok. (I must mention that Jessie stopped by with a Diet Coke from Sonic which made the afternoon of baking so much better.)

Saturday I baked with my good friend Corrie. Her daughter Gracious had a party for her 5th birthday this weekend and Corrie recruited me to help with the cake. She had a Princess and the Frog themed birthday so we made frog cupcakes and a Barbie Tiana cake. I've never made a Barbie cake so it was interesting... I'm really pleased with the end result though. I never tried any of the cake (we just used devil's food box cake and added buttermilk instead of water to make it a little more dense), so hopefully it tasted good. If not... she looked great, so who cares?

Tonight I baked some peanut butter cookies for my parent's Bible study and some sugar cookies for my Spanish class. It's getting late so I'll have to leave the frosting for tomorrow...
WHAT a weekend...

6 comments:

Jessie said...

You better be saving some sugar cookies for me. Diet coke...just saying. :)

Ladell said...

My daughter is the "Queen of Cakes" and I think she will someday do this for a living!!

Aunt Cindy said...

I have decided to will you all our cake pans, you can have our old cake business.

Faith said...

sounds like my dream weekend....although pies are my forte

Katie said...

UMMM WHAT THE HECK ABBY! YOU ARE A CAKE MASTER! YOU MASTER DA CAKES! seriously, people would pay big bucks for that princess cake!! wow! with the frog cupcakes! that was like suuuper creative. and put 100% in my mind that you can have a successful business doing this. I can't believe you bake this much! I'm glad you decide to bake this much as soon as you move home....i'd be requesting orders left and right here hhaha. wow okay so in summary: i am in awe of your cake baking abilities. and you seem to love every minute of it sooo remind me why you aren't turning this into a profitable business????

Valeria said...

keep up that creative magic. i love you friend:)