Monday, February 22, 2010

British, Period Piece Romance Movies....

I've mentioned before that Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite (if not my very favorite) movies. Lately, I have furthered my passion for Pride & Prejudice type movies. It all started when I watched PBS's Emma with Jessie. That kind of got me hooked, now I can't stop watching British, period piece romance movies. I think I like them because:

1. They wear the coolest clothes (I'm still pretty convinced that I want my wedding dressing to look something like Elizabeth Bennet's white dress in the most recent Pride & Prejudice.)
2. They speak with intelligence and grace. If they want to slam someone, they do it with their wit - no cuss words needed.
3. They don't have to be sexual to show romance. The most touching these people do is a kiss on the hand.
4. The romances always seem to be with the guy that the girl never expected because she either hated him originally or thought he was way out of her league (while this is not real life at all, it's fun to watch.)
5. They have great accents.

So, I shamefully re-activated my Netflix account and have watched these movies non-stop (or BBC miniseries): Persuasion, Daniel Deronda (I didn't really like this one that much), Sense & Sensibility, North & South, Wuthering Heights, and Emma. (Yes, I know... I watch a lot of TV but it's always after everyone else goes to bed so I'm not THAT anti-social.) Anyway, next on my list is Great Expectations... If you're looking for some good clean, fun I encourage you to watch some too. (Emma is streaming on PBS's website and it's sooo good.)

6 comments:

Megan said...

Hi Abby! I happened upon your blog... and if it's ok... i think i will read on for a bit. Your use of a cake plate is what drew me in... to my husband's dismay, I have about 12! :) Happy baking/ crafting/ baking!

Katie said...

heyYyYy ;) I wouldn't miiind. (directed at hot guy in picture)

Jessie said...

Emma, it was great. I'd love to watch some more movies with you of this genre.

Birdie said...

Hi there! I ran across your post while trying to find more British period pieces...I'm hooked, like you, apparently.
One I recently watched & liked (on Netflix) is Wives & Daughters. You might like it.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

Um...if you have never seen Jane Eyre (the version with Toby Stephens) you have not lived!!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.