Sunday, June 19, 2011

Best. Brownies. Ever.

Holy cow! It's almost been two weeks since I last blogged! Where has the time gone...

I think I have made up my mind on the best brownie recipe ever. I've made it time and time again and every time, I think, "Dang these are good!" I can't take credit, none at all, but I can pass it on so that you can enjoy it as much as I do. They're crazy easy, pretty inexpensive to make, and stinkin' delicious. Here they are: Betty Crocker's Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies (with my math skills to one-and-a-half the recipe because it was originally for a 9-inch cake pan and seriously, who makes a 9-inch cake pan batch of brownies? No one. We all want the 9x13. Am I right or am I right? )

Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies

Brownies
-1 box family size brownie mix (any mix will do, and make sure it's family size, none of that 9-inch crap)
-Water, vegetable oil, and eggs that the box mix calls for

Chocolate Topping
-1 cup chocolate chips
-1/4 cup butter, in cubes (that's a half stick in case you don't want to do the math)

Peanut Butter Filling
-3/4 cup butter, room temperature (that's one and a half sticks...)
-3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I have people in my life who would argue and say Peter Pan is the best, but there is no need to use the name brand stuff, off-brand will taste just splendid)
-3 cups powdered sugar
-2 tablespoons milk

Directions
-Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of 9x13 cake pan with cooking spray. Make brownies according the the directions on the box. Make sure brownies are cooled completely.

-In a microwave safe bowl, microwave topping ingredients for 1 minute, stir, then microwave for another minute or until smooth. Let the topping cool for 10 minutes, so you might as well be efficient and make the filling in the meantime. Combine the butter and peanut butter in a mixer and beat until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar and milk, alternating the two until fully combined and delightfully smooth. Spread the filling evenly over the brownies and then spread the topping over that (it should be done "sitting" by now). Refrigerate the brownies to help the chocolate set. I store mine in the fridge, and if you decide to, too, you will probably want to set them out about 30 minutes before serving so the chocolate doesn't require a chain saw to cut through. Enjoy!

Note: This recipe makes a lot of peanut butter filling. Not all is necessary for the brownies, and I'm not going to lie that I keep a little out and use any leftover chocolate to make perfect spoonfuls of peanut butter/chocolaty amazingness. You should do it, too. You'll thank me later.

OH! And happy father's day to my special Daddy. It was his request that I make these brownies today. He knows what he's doing with those baked goods... and many other things. He's one of the coolest men I know...

2 comments:

Ladell said...

Nobody makes better brownies than my sweet daughter Abby! She's a baker "extraordinaire"!!

Mom said...

I agree that no one should ever make a 9 inch pan of brownies. Especially when they have a chocolate lovin' family like ours. These are the best brownie recipe ever!