Saturday, June 25, 2011

Best. Cookies. Ever.

Last week I blogged about the Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies from Betty Crocker. The brownies that I consider to be the best brownies ever. Well, today I baked a new cookie recipe and I am very happy to say that they may be the best cookies ever. Well... at least in my book... as of today. I was inspired by Annie's Eats: she blogged this week about some Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies and right when I read the title I thought, "That sounds amaaaaazing." I took a look at the recipe and it had two things I had a problem with: 1. Coconut (Gross. End of story.), 2. Toffee bits (Who keeps those on hand? No one...) I was just going to take those ingredients out and triple the amount of butterscotch chips, but thought it may be a better idea to see if there's a better oatmeal cookie recipe out there...

So what did I do? I googled: "soft oatmeal cookie recipe," and found a certain recipe referenced in a couple different places so I figured it'd have to be a good one. Upon looking at the ingredients of this recipe, there were a couple of things that impressed me: lots of brown sugar, lots of cinnamon, and lots of normal ingredients for the rest. (I strongly dislike recipes that make you buy things that you don't normally have in your pantry.) So, I tried it, added a full bag of butterscotch chips, and some of the best cookies ever were born. Now I can't take credit. It was Annie's idea, and this person's (whoever they are) recipe... Here's the recipe in my words.

Note: One of my pet peeves is when I start making a cookie recipe, am ready to scoop out the dough and put it in the oven then BAM! the recipe says you have to chill the dough for an hour. I think every recipe should have a disclaimer right up front saying, "Hey! This is going to take more time than you think it is! Plan accordingly!" So here's your note: This cookie dough needs to chill for an hour. Plan accordingly!
Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

Ingredients
-1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (that's 2 sticks)
-1 cup white sugar
-1 cup brown sugar, packed
-2 eggs
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt
-1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
-3 cups quick cooking oats
-1 bag butterscotch chips (I think it's approximately 2 cups)

Directions
-In the bowl of a mixer (if you're blessed like me you've got a Kitchenaid!) on medium speed, cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time then add the vanilla.

-In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. My favorite kitchen utensil in the whisk so I whisk mine together but any mixing utensil will do. Gradually add the dry ingredient to the creamed mixture. Once thoroughly combined, add the oats, then stir in the butterscotch chips by hand. Once everything is thoroughly mixed, you've got to chill it in the fridge for an hour. (Don't say I didn't warn you...)

-After that excrutiatingly long hour has passed, turn your oven on to 375 degrees. Form your delicious dough into delicious dough balls and bake on an un-greased (although I do like to use parchment paper, it makes for an easy clean up) cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and your house will be filled with the scent of amazingness and your tummy will be filled with the most delicious cookies in the world. (No exaggeration there.) Hope you enjoy!

P.S. I know that my photography sucks. I've even been trying to experiment more with my camera, but it still sucks. Don't let the lame picture deter you. These cookies are amazing. I plan on buying this book to help my lack of photography skills.

2 comments:

Georgie said...

I think your photos are great and wish to try your amazing cookies!

Cassie said...

coconut ew