Monday, May 20, 2013

Truths.


Today something happened at work that kind of sent me into the funk. Let me just say that now I know why everyone says to never date someone you work with... If things don't work out, you have to see that person... every. single. day. Anyway, I immediately started praying that God would take me out of it. That He would keep my focus on Him and that I wouldn't let my day (or week, or month) be ruined by something so unsubstantial and worldly. I've got to admit, I didn't rely solely on the Lord... I might have texted my friends Jessie and April too, but God showed up.

Jessie sent me this verse, Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Then my friend April sent me this verse, His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence. 2 Peter 1:3

And then I looked up and saw this quote I had written out from a book I read last summer. It's hanging in my cubicle for days like today and as a constant reminder...

We are called to think this way: God is my sovereign, wise, and compassionate Father. He is intimately aware of the details of my life, and I can trust Him with my circumstances. Christ took my sins on His shoulders to pave the way for me to enter God's presence. God is transforming me into Christ's image, and His discipline, His training in righteouness, is a blessing because it roots out sin and wrong thinking in my life. It is a very good thing that God doesn't leave me in the state He found me but transforms me, even when it involves hard circumstances. Christ is my perfect Bridegroom. The core longings of my heart for relationship are perfectly fulfilled in Him. He loves me, He died for me, and He sits at the right hand of the Father eternally making intercession for me.  Practical Theology for Women, Wendy Horger Alsup.

This is good stuff. I am resting in these truths today. With God's help, I'm not letting myself sink back into my funk. I just thought I'd write out where my heart is tonight because maybe your heart needs these truths just as much as mine does.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Love your heart!