Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Try-It Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...

My schedule went from crazy full to crazy empty in about two seconds. I remember back in December saying, "Ok, if I can just survive this craziness until May, I'll be alright." Well, May is here and a lot of my commitments are over for the summer and my life has slowed down... Really slowed down... One of the cool things is that I have had time to cook meals this week. Three days in a row! That might be a record. Let me tell you about what I made...

Monday. I made Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps. The recipe technically calls for ground chicken, but they didn't have any at the grocery store, so I went with turkey and couldn't really tell a difference. I made a couple of other substitutions as well. I didn't want to invest in oyster sauce so I used hoisin instead. And I doubled the amount of water chestnuts in place of the mushrooms because... well... I despise mushrooms. Even with all of my little changes, these turned out really well! And it was (say it with me now...) healthy, easy, and delicious. What I'm looking for in a recipe.

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps.

Tuesday. I went back to a typical Abby meal - some kind of Asian chicken concoction served over rice.  Thai Chicken and Pineapple Stir Fry. This was good... but not spectacular. I would say I've made other things similar to this that were a little better. You'll have to see for yourself though...

Thai Chicken and Pineapple Stir Fry.


Wednesday. I had my mom over for dinner tonight and went back to a recipe I've tried before. It used some of the ingredients I already had on hand (I'm pretty bad about being efficient and planning ahead choosing recipes that have similar ingredients... I'm trying to get better at this.) It was Pioneer Woman's Meatballs with Peppers and Pineapple. I liked this the first time but I feel like it turned out a lot better this time. I'd highly recommend this recipe. Also, we had angel food cake, strawberries, and Cool Whip for dessert and it was delicious. AND healthy! I've found my go to dessert for the summer. On top of the good food, I had a great time with my mom. She's pretty much the coolest woman I know... What a great night.

Meatballs with Peppers and Pineapple.

Happy cooking!

1 comment:

Aunt Georgie said...

I loved reading that you had your mom over for dinner and games! I just printed that meatball recipe. Maybe I'll try it next week. Love you!