Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Try-It Tuesday: A Medley.

(Crockpot Honey Sesame Chicken.)

I've tried quite a few recipes this past week. With trying to eat healthier these days I have been eating at home more and out less. This is good both for my waistline and my wallet - funny how that works. I tried a recipe out last night that was good... but not great. I felt like I had to showcase it because that was the recipe that I actually made on Tuesday (and this is Try-It Tuesday after all) but then I thought, "This is my blog. I make the rules!" So I am going to focus on a different recipe. I made it a few weeks ago and made it again on Sunday. Not Tuesday.

If you are curious to know what I made last night, it was Asian Turkey Meatballs with Lime Sesame Dipping Sauce (told you I was into asian food lately). The recipe is from one of my new favorite blogs Skinnytaste, so as you can imagine, it was healthy-ish. The meatballs themselves were decent but they needed a good sauce to go with them. The Lime Sesame Dipping Sauce that the recipe called for was basically a glorified soy sauce. I don't really like soy sauce - so that caused problems. These meatballs have potential, they just need a better sauce. Maybe I'll experiment with that someday... Maybe not.

Asian Turkey Meatballs with Lime Sesame Dipping Sauce by Skinnytaste
(I know... these don't look very appetizing.)

This wasn't a whole meal but I also tried my hand at making my own hummus this weekend. Hummus is supposed to be healthy, right? (Are you sick of me talking about trying to be healthy? I always feel that way when I am not in such a healthy time of my life. If that's where you're at, and you're sick of me talking about it, I feel you. I don't blame you. I've been there. And there is a good chance I'll be there again. Stick with me.) Anyway, Annie's Eats had a pretty easy recipe for Restaurant-Style Hummus. It was good! Since it was just plain hummus there wasn't much excitement to it but it was a valiant first try. Next time I'm going to have to do something to add more flavor.

Restaurant-Style Hummus by Annie's Eats
(I didn't have a good picture of the hummus so instead I decided to 
show you our cat Bigsby to continue with the asian food theme... Get it?)

And now for our spotlight of the week... Another recipe by Skinnytaste but this time it was a winner! Crockpot (you can't go wrong with crockpot) Honey Sesame Chicken. This recipe is sooo good. It has so much flavor. There are a few ingredients in there that if you don't cook a lot of asian food you might not have (rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sriracha...) but I would recommend investing in them. You won't regret it. You can serve this over rice (which I did a few weeks ago, pre-diet) or you can make lettuce wraps out of them. I did lettuce wraps this weekend and I actually liked it even better than over rice. So. good. And so. easy. That is all.

Crockpot Honey Sesame Chicken by Skinnytaste
(Some of my small group girls came over for dinner. 
They liked the hummus and lettuce wraps.)

Hope you enjoyed this long-winded version of... Try-It Tuesday!

No comments: