Sunday, July 14, 2013

Lemon Poppyseed Cake...


Have you ever wanted to do something for a really long time and then you finally do it and it was everything that you had hoped it would be? Let's be honest... a lot of times in life, it actually doesn't end up being everything that you had hoped it would be. (Womp womp...) But occasionally... it does, and it's a beautiful moment!

That's how I feel about this cake. (Ha! A cake? Seriously, Abby?) (Yes, seriously.) This cake was brought to my attention over a year ago. A Lemon Poppyseed Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. You've even probably heard me talk about this cake on here before. Well, folks... I finally got around to baking it... and it was indeed everything that I had hoped it would be!

People are kind of weird about lemony things. They either love it or they hate it. That's why I haven't made this cake... because I was worried that I would have more lemon haters than lemon lovers when I served it... And no one likes to bake something that isn't guaranteed to be a hit. Friday night we had a family get-together to celebrate that my cousins Julie and Elsy were in town. I signed up for dessert and my aunt Kay also signed up for dessert (it was my fault... I didn't "reply to all" saying what I was going to bring like I should have.) Kay signed up for brownies. So I got to thinking, "Kay is bringing brownies... That means the simple taste buds will be satisfied. That also means the chocolate taste buds will be satisfied. This is my chance! It's go time for the lemon poppyseed cake!" It was a selfish move really... But I didn't care.

Y'all, it was a hit! My dad, the chocolate king, even liked it! My aunt said, "I may have gone back for seconds." I told them the "It was a selfish move... I wasn't sure if y'all would like it" bit. And my aunt's response was, "Thank you for being selfish." So if you're a fan... even if you're not a not... I would highly recommend it.

Lemon Poppyseed Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (by Always with Butter)

(I may or may not have taken this picture on top of my car. Yep, that's State 
Line in the background. Also, I may or may not be horrible at the whole 
"messy but still beautiful" cake decorating thing... I'll get there... some day.)

(I even had it for breakfast the next day... #dietbuster)

3 comments:

Aunt Georgie said...

It really was a great cake! This Thursday there's another family gathering and you've signed up for dessert. What, oh what, will you pleasure us with this time?? Looking forward to it. Love you!

Katie said...

Umm can i be in your family? I want to try this caaaaake! wahhhh.

Valeria said...

Yum, this just looks delicious. I think you should make one and bring it to Phil's wedding. Just for our table ;)