Monday, August 19, 2013

Try-It Last Week...

I tried quite a few new recipes last week. A lot of them were winners so I thought I'd share them on here. (Side note: I realized I don't really blog about my baking/sweet/dessert recipes that I try out. I try one probably once a week or so, so I thought I'd showcase them on here more frequently.)

Spicy Hawaiian Chicken Burgers. I had my family over to celebrate my mom's birthday last week. This recipe was a hit with all eight people who tried it. My mom described it as having an "explosion of flavor." That's pretty good, I'd say. If you're looking to try a new fancy burger recipe... this should be the one.

Summer Potato Salad with Apples. I was looking for a side that would go with burgers but that was a little different than your standard fries, beans, etc. Potato salad isn't that out of the ordinary but this recipe had a bit of a twist that I found refreshing - it had apples in it! It also used very little mayo so it was on the healthier side. I'd recommend it. (The most exciting part? I got to use my own chives that I've been growing... so. cool.)

A Very Giant Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. My mom requested something with peanut butter and chocolate for dessert so I decided to go with this recipe. I saw it on Pinterest probably a year or so ago but hadn't had a chance to try it yet. We liked it! It's a good recipe if you're looking for something with traditional flavors in a not-so-tradtional format. (Unless tarts are something common in your household... unlike mine.)

Almond Bark Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Balls. These are a family favorite that I took to work the other. They aren't the most appetizing looking things in the world but they are possibly one of my favorite cookies ever. And they are so easy... Two thumbs up - fo sho.

And lastly... The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever. We had a big family birthday celebration the other night. I was looking for something that could feed about 20 people so I opted for a sheet cake. I was shocked how much the family raved about this recipe. I served it thinking it wasn't really anything special... but they would disagree. My grandma was in town and she convinced me to add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon to the recipe. Not sure if that was the secret weapon, but we'll say it was for my grandma's sake. If you're looking for a quick and easy recipe that will feed a lot of people... look no further.

1 comment:

Momma said...

Thanks for the treats! I love your cooking!