Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hunt for Dulce de Leche.

One of the things on my list was to surprise someone with cupcakes. I've had the idea of who I wanted to bake cupcakes for and what kind of cupcakes I wanted to bake for quite some time. Who is it you ask? My dear friend Jessie. Quite a while ago she said (at least I think she did, it was a really long time ago) that she wanted me to make Joy the Baker's Dulce de Leche Cupcakes for her. So, that was the plan. The only problem? Where the heck to find dulce de leche...

I went to Whole Foods once to find it thinking, "Whole Foods has all sorts of crazy foods, they'll have it." I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. So then I went online and it was going to cost me like 20 bucks to get some and have it shipped to me. So I went back to Whole Foods, looked around for another 30 minutes and couldn't find it. I was about to walk out the door and try to make it myself from evaporated milk (word is that it's impossible to do that way) then I decided to ask a guy who worked there. He looked around with my for a while and no luck. Then... he went and asked his co-worker and ta da! they found it!

After all that work I finally baked the cupcakes. They were crazy rich, but pretty good. Hopefully Jessie liked them. Even if she didn't, I suppose it's the thought that counts. I searched all over the place for that stinkin' dulce de leche! (Pardon the lame pictures. I was too lazy to get my camera so I just took it with my iPod.)

2 comments:

Georgie said...

Interesting! I'm anxious to hear Jessie's reaction. And now you know where to find the stuff. It's fun picking up on something that people said a long time ago. That makes them feel special and remembered! Love ya, Abby T!

Jessie said...

They were amazing! I loved them. Thanks for remembering me and going to all the trouble. Now I'm pretty sure there are a couple cakes I requested. ha ha.