Sunday, July 10, 2011

Watercolors.

My good friend Corrie, who moved back to Portland last month, is having a baby in August and her family threw her a baby shower so I wanted to send her something for the shower to let her know I'm thinking of her. I didn't want to buy some lame gift off of a registry. Who really wants to ship a silly baby toy or a bib you can buy at Target all the way across the country? I wanted to make something for her...

Corrie's asked me a while ago to knit her husband (my good friend Rob) and son Justice matching hats, and I still intend to do that, along with one for the new little guy who is on his way (he'll be named Thelonious, Theo for short), but by the time I'd thought of the idea (ok, actually Jessie thought of the idea) there wasn't enough time to knit three hats. But I wanted to make something else. I had this idea involving pennants in the back of my head that I'd seen a friend do something similar before. Then all of a sudden this flashback of my 9th grade art teacher Mrs. Morton teaching me how to paint with watercolors popped in my head. Once there, I couldn't rest until I tried to pull off what I'd envisioned in my head. After many attempts, I finally got close enough and made the product below. Pretty simple, but that's how I like things... simple. Hopefully Corrie will be able to put this in Theo's nursery some day and think of her friend Abby who loves her and misses her dearly...
(My many attempts...)
(The finished product... Don't mind the Netflix movie underneath. It was Becoming Jane.
Kind of a let down, just in case you were wondering... The movie that is, not the project.)

2 comments:

Jessie said...

It looks great! Which reminds me that I can finally post my nursing cover tutorial...just got to add the pics.

Valeria said...

Abby! This is FABULOUS! You could sell these babies on etsy. I didn't know of your water coloring skills.

Also, because it's such a funny coincidence: When I got your letter today I immediately thought of drawing pennants on some stationary to write you back on ... and no lie, I thought of using watercolors. Ha! But my skills will not match yours. Sooo I might stick to colored pencils;) But look for pennants in your mailbox soon!