Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Try-It Tuesday: Baked Brie.

Her picture looked better than mine...

I have had a few people ask me lately if I am still doing Try-It Tuesdays... Sadly, I've lost a bit of my desire to cook because it's not nearly as fun when you are cooking for one compared to four or more. I probably try a new recipe every other week or so though, so I am going to try to post about it more consistently.

Coincidentally enough, today is Tuesday and I just happened to try a new recipe! Two, in fact! I have seen recipes for baked brie all over the place and have wanted to try it but haven't really had the fancy occasion to bring it to. I think I mentioned it to my aunt Georgie once and she said something like, "Who needs an fancy occasion? Just make it. Your unca Dave and I would eat it!" So tonight we had a family get together and I did just that.

I had seen different ways to make baked brie and so I wanted to try out two tonight. One simple and another a tiny bit more complicated. The first way was basically brie cheese topped with apricot preserved, wrapped in frozen puff pastry (thawed), brushed with beaten egg, and baked at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. (There wasn't an official recipe for this one, I just kind of made it up based on recipes I've seen.) The second was the fancy one. It is called Cranberry and Pecan Brie En Croute. I saw this recipe on none other than Pinterest and it was what got me excited about baked brie in the first place. It was similar to the first in that it was brie wrapped in puff pastry but it had cranberries, cinnamon pecans, and brown sugar inside instead.

I served both at the same time with crackers, granny smith apples, honey crisp apples, and grapes. I asked my family which one they preferred and everyone agreed that the Cranberry and Pecan Brie En Croute was the winner. Apparently this time, the more complicated one paid off though I'd highly recommend both. If you are looking for an easy recipe to impress your friends, look no further. It has been found.

My much less appetizing of a picture.

Cranberry and Pecan Brie En Croute

A version similar to my Apricot Baked Brie

2 comments:

Aunt Georgie said...

Hey Abby, thanks for the shout out you gave me and Unca Dave on your post. We enjoyed your baked brie. I think my favorite was the simpler, apricot brie. Just sayin'. Love you! Thanks for sharing your talents ALL THE TIME!

Valeria said...

Yum! I'll have to try this, fancy occasion or not:) Love you!