Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ice Cream. (And other pumpkin things.)


So, I made this rule that I couldn't bake with pumpkin until there was a chill in the air this year... Well, today I made food with pumpkin. I didn't bake it... there was no oven involved. But I made ice cream with it. And let me tell you why...

Last summer before I moved in to my current place my roommates and I were e-mailing back and forth what we were bringing to the new place. "I have a TV... I have a couch... I have a vacuum..." My roommate Kathryn listed off some kitchen things that she was bringing and she included an ice cream scoop. I replied with what I was bringing and mentioned that I had a ice cream maker to go with her ice cream scoop. It became a joke that Kathryn felt a bit... inferior (for lack of a better word) because her ice cream scoop was a little less substantial than an ice cream maker. We said we would have to combine forces and make ice cream sometime. We even took this picture way back documenting the plan.

Last night as I was packing up the kitchen I was putting away my ice cream maker when we realized that we never made ice cream! We decided that just wouldn't do so tonight I made some. I used my ice cream maker... we scooped with her scoop, and it was grand.

I chose to make Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream. I thought it would be the perfect recipe to transition from the hot summer weather into the cooler, pumpkin-eating fall. The recipe was pretty good! It tasted just like pumpkin pie and was pretty easy because I opted to use a recipe that didn't involve any eggs. The only downside is that when you don't use eggs and strictly use milk or cream, often the ice cream leaves a milky film on the roof of your mouth. Sick... I know. Unless you are my roommate Paige who loved it. I was complaining about it and she said, "I wish I could take your feeling and double my feeling because I like it that much." What a girl...

Anyway, we had a good time partaking in the ice cream. Only one more night with those lovely ladies before I move out. I'm soaking up all the time I can get.

Here is a list of some other pumpkin recipes that I hope to try out over the next few months. If you find a pumpkin recipe that's just to die for, share it with me! I'd love to hear about it and try for myself...

Pumpkin Spice Cake by Gimme Some Oven.

Pumpkin Pie Macarons by Annie's Eats.

Almost No-Bake Pumpkin Cream Pie with Maple Whipped Cream by Joy the Baker.

Pumpkin Roll by Brown Eyed Baker. (I've always wanted to make one of these...)

Pumpkin Smoothie by Skinnytaste.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Truffles by Gimme Some Oven.

1 comment:

King said...

Our neighbor made dairy-free vanilla ice cream with coconut milk. It was great. You should make that sometime :)