Monday, September 9, 2013

Try-It Friday: Thai Style Peanut Pasta.


Have you heard of one pot wonders? I'm sure it's nothing new to you, but it's kind of fascinating to me. You put all of your ingredients in one pot, cook it, and ta-da! "Um, ever heard of a slow cooker, Abby?" Yes... yes, I have. But this is different. It's a pasta dish that you cook the pasta, vegetables, seasoning, etc. all in one pot until it boils down to become cooked pasta goodness with a yummy sauce. I had seen the idea before but my friend Jessie had suggested this recipe to me so I thought it was time that I give it a try... And I'm a fan.

I love pretty much anything Thai. Ok, this isn't legit Thai. I was telling my co-worker about it and she was like, "Oh yeah, did you use *insert some legit Thai noodle here* noodles?" "Um, no, I used fettuccine." So it's not legit Thai. But legit or not... it was tasty. I had my mom over for dinner and she liked it too. My friend Jessie suggested that I add more veggies and chicken and those were great suggestions. The dish wouldn't have been as great without them.

Thai Style Peanut Pasta.

Go ahead... give one pot wonders and non-legit Thai food a try! You'll thank me. (Thanks for the suggestion, Jessie! You'll thank Jessie, too.)

*Update after my aunt Georgie tried out the recipe and had a few questions for me*
-It calls for tamarind paste but I didn't use it. Jessie told me you could substitute brown sugar and rice vinegar for it, so I used 1/2 tablespoon of each in place of 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste.
-I cooked my chicken separately in the oven, just seasoned with salt and pepper, then I diced it up and added it to the pasta at the very end.
-The recipe says to cook it for 10 minutes. I cooked it longer and it wasn't quite as saucy as I wanted so don't be afraid of stopping at 10 minutes - it should give you the results you're looking for (unless you want drier pasta then cook it until your heart desires).
*Hope this helps!*

3 comments:

Norma said...

It was wonderful! Thanks for inviting me to dinner!

Valeria said...

This sounds SO good! Will add it to my list. Thanks, Abs (+Jessie!) :)

Aunt Georgie said...

So I gave it a try and it was delicious! Really delicious. I really appreciated your hints and tips. I added more veggies and added chicken, baking it in the oven, just like you! Basically, I wanna be you! Ha! Creative. And artsy. Love ya and love that you share so well.