Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Try-It Tuesday: Golden Potato Soup

I didn't really plan ahead for tonight's meal. I had planned on looking for a recipe at work today but as I've mentioned, Pinterest is blocked now so my searching for recipes is a little more difficult than it was before. I looked at a few of my favorite food blogs, but nothing looked that great to me. So I asked my friend at work if he had any suggestions for recipes and he suggested this: Golden Potato Soup.

It looked easy enough, and he had good things to say about it, so I decided to try it out. The recipe was pretty easy really. And the ingredients were common, things we already had in our kitchen actually. It did call for 1 cup of ham, but I don't do ham, so I replaced it with turkey bacon instead. The only strange ingredient was the cheese. It called for 1 1/2 cups of shredded American cheese. Ok, now I know American cheese is quite common, but where in the world do you find shredded American cheese? Beats me. So I just bought a package of Kraft Singles and chopped 'em up. Easy enough.

The verdict: well, it's a toss up. My parents loved it. Said it was a do-over for sure. My brother Cory and I thought it was too cheesy. The amount of cheese could have been cut in half and I would have been happy. Perhaps it was because it was Abby-shredded American cheese rather than store-shredded American cheese that was the problem. Perhaps the recipe-maker just likes cheese a lot more than I do. Who knows... I'd say it was a good recipe, it could just use a few alterations... aka less cheese.

Anyway, if you like cheese, and you like potatoes, and you like soup, this is the recipe for you. Happy Try-It Tuesday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog