Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Try-It Tuesday: Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Hasselback Potatoes.

Word got back to me that my dad says that I make "foo-foo" meals. That I can't just do meat and potatoes. And that all of my meals include green peppers or some fruit on top... Part of me was offended at first. I can do meat and potatoes! I'm not a foo-foo cook! And then I thought about it... and yes, I do use green peppers in just about every meal that I cook. And yes, I do like to add random fruit to things. But I decided to prove my dad wrong... Well, kind of. So I give to you... Foo-Foo Meat and Potatoes Tuesday! Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches (they technically have fruit in them... pineapple juice) and Hasselback Red Potatoes! And of course, I served fruit and veggies (green peppers, even) on the side...

The verdict?

Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches: The Hawaiian sauce made the meal! But the pork was great, too. We all agreed next time we will get a better cut of meat than a pork shoulder like the recipe called for. And more heavy duty buns than hamburger buns (because no one likes a soggy bun...)

Hasselback Red Potatoes: We all liked the potatoes, too! The looked fancy and were fun to eat!Although, the recipe said to cook them 40-45 minutes and they were not quite as done as I'd prefer so you could go 60-70 minutes and they were probably be better.

Definitely a do over we all agreed... And my dad got his meat and potatoes... kind of.

P.S. We finished off the meal with leftover Triple-Chocolate Cheesecake that I made for our Memorial Day get together. The cheesecake was pretty great, if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

That cheesecake looks amazing! Send me a piece, will ya?

Aunt Georgie said...

Hurray for doing it your way and your dad's way!! Just to set the record straight, the cheesecake was not pretty great, it was absolutely amazing!

By the way, Aunt Kay had us over last night and made your Thai burgers. They were very tasty. She also tried out a new dessert. Grilled fresh pineapple, served warm with ice cream on top. It was like candy in your mouth. Yummy.

You and your recipes are rubbing off on all of us. Love you!