Sunday, January 12, 2014

Kitchen Design.


Long story short, I have been thinking up ideas of how I wanted to decorate my kitchen for about two years… This weekend, it finally happened. I already had some Etsy prints and Instagram photos. Then my crazy talented brother Cory designed some new prints for me for Christmas which gave me the drive to finish this project once and for all. I felt like the wall needed one more piece so I decided to do a last minute project…

I bought a couple of cheap white plates from Old Time Pottery (best place ever for cheap stuff like that, if you've got one nearby.) I used this tutorial as a guide and took a Sharpie and some masking tape and went to town. I've seen feedback that these DIY projects where you draw on a plate, pop it in the oven for 30 minutes, and have yourself a finished product are a bit bogus and that the marker quickly wears off. But I thought it would do just fine for what I was doing - hanging it on the wall. I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. (Side note: I didn't end up putting them in the oven like the tutorial said because I knew they wouldn't ever be touched or washed so it wasn't necessary.)


Anyway, I combined the plates, along with the rest of the pieces I already had, and one that my roommate had hung, and did what I know how to do best… made a collage wall!

Here's how I had originally laid out the pictures. Gotta be honest… I like this layout better than how it actually turned out. But when I accidentally hammered some holes in wrong places (measure twice, nail once, right? Ok, that's not the saying, but it would have been good for me, because "eyeballing it" didn't work out so well...), I had to improvise and change things up a bit so it didn't look off center on the wall.


Here are the prints that Cory made. I love them so much. I started out with them and went from there.




And tada! Now I feel even more inspired in a space that already inspires me so much: the kitchen.

1 comment:

Valeria said...

I love this wall so much! Cory really did a great job on those prints. We have a blank wall in our kitchen that I now think needs some lovin too...