Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sara's Banana Bread.


I came in to college with quite a few credit hours, so I graduated a semester early. It was the financially responsible decision, but looking back I think, "Why in the heck did you end college a semester early?" I needed a place to live for a semester, rather than the whole year, which meant finding a place to rent was going to be difficult. This lovely woman named Sara who led a Bible study I was in offered to let me live with her and her husband for that semester… for free. I don't think I have ever been so blessed or felt so loved on by a couple (outside of my family…) The semester there changed my life and put this heart for hospitality in me that I never knew I had before. Words can't describe how special that time was.

Sara had people over all the time. Her house and her kitchen were always open to the public. She had some snacks that became staples when she had our Bible study over: M&Ms, apple slices (or some other kind of fruit), bacon (yep, we had a lot of bacon), and banana bread. Sara's banana bread is the best. She would set out sticks of butter days in advance. I'm not really sure if it's because she wanted it to be extra soft or because it took her a few days to actually get around to baking it (she is a busy woman) but whenever I saw butter sitting out I knew I was in for a treat soon. Sara also mixed all of the ingredients by hand. I never really got that… She had a hand mixer, but I suppose there was extra love in it because she creamed the butter and sugar herself. (Just need to take a moment and acknowledge how cheesy that last sentence was.) Whatever it was that she did, whether it was the extra soft butter, the hand beaten ingredients, or just the fond memories that go along with it… That banana bread is some of the best ever.

I made it today! It's actually in the oven as I type. I can smell it and just the scent makes me want to give up my successful week of diet-eating and devour it all. (But I won't, don't worry.) I didn't set out the butter two days ago. And I used my Kitchenaid to mix. But if the results are anything close to Sara's, I will be one happy baker. Because Sara is one of the most giving people I know, I figured she wouldn't mind me sharing her recipe. So if you are in the search of a good banana bread recipe, look no further. You've found the one.

Sara's Banana Bread

3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened (for days, if you're Sara :))
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (3 medium) **I usually use 4 bananas and let them ripen as much as possible** (note from Sara)
2 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup walnuts (I didn't put these in mine, and Sara didn't either… I wouldn't recommend it. Nuts. ruin. everything.)

Cream butter and sugar thoroughly. Blend in bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda and salt together. Add to banana mixture, alternating with buttermilk, mixing thoroughly after each addition. (Add nuts, mix. But remember… Nuts. ruin. everything.) Pour batter into greased and floured 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/4 hours or until done.

(Our Bible study… gosh we look young.)

(Sara and Joe on graduation day. Man, I love them.)

(At my friend Christine's wedding a year or so after college.)

2 comments:

Valeria said...

Lovely post, my dear:) SO many happy memories in that house.

Anonymous said...

Ahh Abby, having you in our home was such a blessing. You filled our house with joy and light - we miss you! Hope you did enjoy the banana bread. My niece lived with us this Fall and asked: "Is there something special about leaving the butter out for days?" (some things never change)