Saturday, September 5, 2009

Summer Sounds

My friend Corrie, who moved from Portland to suburban Kansas City this past year, has commented quite a few times about how loud KC is. She doesn't mean the hustle and bustle of the city, she means the bugs: specifically cicadas.

I am a person who hates little sounds. I can be driven crazy by the sounds of chewing, tapping, smacking, kissing, whispering... the list goes on (I really have a problem...) But I love the sound of cicadas. It reminds me of summers and my childhood (I know, I'm still young, but the truth is I don't go out and catch fireflies or play capture the flag anymore...) I know the summer is almost over, but the cicadas are still around so I'm happy...

Above is what I picture the setting of where beautiful cicada sound making occurs (taken by a random photographer named Harry Freeman.) I would have put a picture of cicadas on here, but they are absolutely disgusting looking. If you're curious, go here. Also, one of my favorite bands Balmorhea has a song that incorporates cicada sounds. If you want to listen, you can go here but you'll have to be patient because it isn't until the end of the song.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the last moments of the summery sounds of cicadas as much as I do. Hopefully Corrie will learn to appreciate it someday, too!

No comments: