Friday, January 8, 2010

A New Side of Baking


This whole dieting thing has really put a cramp in my baking. I feel guilty baking anything because it's not healthy and it's crazy tempting for everyone in my house that's on a diet. So, I thought to myself, "What can I bake that's decently healthy?" I went through all of these wonderful things in my head: cheesecakes, coffeecakes, cupcakes, any kind of cake really, cookies, bars, pies, tarts, puffs, you name it... They all kind of suck when it comes to healthiness. There is one thing that came to mind that is healthy that I've never really tried to bake before: bread!

So today I baked some bread for the first time. I ventured into the scary world of yeast and kneading. The whole time I kept thinking, "This is a lot of work, if it doesn't turn out, I'm going to be really bummed." I was worried it wouldn't rise (a common bread-baking woe)... but it did. And I was worried it would be too dense... but it wasn't. I got lucky and it turned out perfectly! So, above, is my first attempt at bread: whole wheat braids. I don't know if I can say that I love the process but I definitely love the product. And it's healthy!

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Jon would like some bread please.