Thursday, January 7, 2010

Not so Hallmark...

While I know Hallmark's intentions are good, I just don't love their cards. They are impersonal (no matter how hard they try) and just ok on the creativity side. Sure, you can stand around the card aisle in Wal-Mart for 30 minutes trying to find the perfect card that is actually funny or happens to say sort of what you want to say to a person. But why waste the time on a card that only kind of fits the occasion? Why not make your own?

So that's what I've started to do, card making... and I love it. The love started when I was on a retreat this fall. During some downtime my friend Lauren said, "I know this may be lame, but I'm going to make some cards. Do you want to make one?" I didn't think it was lame at all. I made one and was hooked! I don't think I've bought a card since!

I love that you can say exactly what you want to say. I love that you get to be creative and make it look pretty. I love it that the receiver of the card feels a little bit more special because you actually made the card. I love that making cards is cheaper than buying them (I bought a pack of colored paper for $4 and have made at least 10 cards from it already and could make 10 more.) I love it all!

Anyway... I challenge you to try it. I bet you'll really enjoy yourself and I guarantee you the receiver will! (Happy birthday to my aunt Cindy! Thanks for giving me an occasion to make a card. I love you!)

2 comments:

Aunt Cindy said...

I loved my card, and the Thank you one for the mixer. You and Charlotte should get together. She has a wonderful machine to cut things out.--a Cricket.
I love you too. Thanks

Valeria said...

very cute! i love your cards. let's be card-pals when i make a few more:)