Saturday, March 26, 2011

Guy/Girl Musical Duos.

Maybe it's because this is the kind of music I sing, so it's also the kind of music that I enjoy listening to... but I love to listen to guy/girl duos. There's something about co-ed harmonies that just make me smile all over. It seems that the bulk of what I'm listening to these days involves a guy and a girl lead singer. So, I've decided to conjure up a list of my top 5 favorite male/female duos, working my way down to my very, very favorite. Check them out, if you dare.

5. Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan. I feel like Damien Rice is kind of old news, but when his album "9" came out, I couldn't get enough of this song "9 Crimes." I would say he and Lisa Hannigan are the duo that got me loving the guy/girl vibe.
4. Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johansson. I've blogged about this duo before, because there was a solid month when I couldn't stop listening to their song "Blackie's Dead." I generally don't love Scarlett Johansson, but combine her with Pete Yorn and I'm quite a fan.
3. The Civil Wars. Remember about 5 years ago when there was this girl named Joy Williams who sang contemporary Christian music? Well, she's shifted gears and now sings music with quite a different feel. She joined John Paul White to make an album that's quite great. Their song "Poison and Wine" is pretty powerful...
2. The Emporiums. I was just introduced to this duo recently. If you've ever heard of Enter the Worship Circle, these two, Aaron Strumpel and Karla Adolphe, come straight out of that. I like both Aaron and Karla separately as well, but put them together, and magic happens. They are relatively new and unknown so there is only one YouTube video out there, but if you go about 2 minutes into the video below you'll hear my favorite song by them: "Pennies and Paper."
1. The Swell Season. My very, very favorite guy/girl duo. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova make my heart sing. Rumor is The Swell Season as a band is no longer, but I'm hoping for the best. I've blogged about them multiple times, so I won't say much, except for that they're the best. Not only one of my favorite duos, but probably in my top 3 favorite bands ever. Below is the song "Falling Slowly" from the movie Once that began it all...

2 comments:

Valeria said...

thought i'd tell you that as soon as i started reading your number 5 duo, i already had falling slowly playing in my head ;)

Jessie said...

Are you being unoriginal again, posting about music b/c I posted about music this week. Just kidding. I was probably being unoriginal bc music is your thing and I'm just a groupie. Loved the post. ;)