Friday, September 28, 2012

How I Decorate a Room: Part 4.

I did some projects last weekend... I basically took old things, that I have decorated with at some point in my life, and made them new. That's the best way to save money when decorating. You splurge on some things but you thrift and revive others.

My first project was to take some old frames that I got from Target or Bed Bath and Beyond or something (they are from a bathroom that I decorated in high school... so it's been a while) and update them. They were black and white prints in a black frame. But I wanted my own prints that I ordered of my Instagram pictures in gold frames. ("Gold frames?" you ask... Yes, besides white, I've been having a hard time finding neutrals that go well on the brown walls.)

So, I took the old frames apart (free). Spray painted them gold. (Spray paint was $6, but I've already used it on other projects, so I would say the cost was about $1 for this project.) Inserted my own pictures. (I ordered 25 prints for $19 (including s/h) on Printstagram.) And ta-da! Custom art for about $1.09 a piece. Not bad...

Before

After 

I also took an old lamp and covered it with some cute fabric as I saw in this tutorial. I had a lamp that I had previously painted gold (I know... I need to chill out on the gold thing. People will walk in my room and think that King Midas has been there. *bad joke*) And an old lamp shade that was dirty and had a crack in it. And a piece of scrap fabric from Hobby Lobby for $2.09. And a little bit of glue stick and hot glue gun. It was a bit more difficult that the tutorial showed because my lamp shade was tapered, and her's was straight. But with a little pleating it all worked out. New lamp for about $1.76 (I had some fabric left over that I'll use in a different project.)

 Before

After

So there you have it, 4 new pieces for the room for a combined total of approximately $5.03. Not bad...

No comments: