Monday, October 8, 2012

Pinterest-y Home.

(DIY Scrabble Coasters.)

When my roommates and I first moved in to our house, we were talking about decorating and how fun it would be. I remember my roommate Kathryn saying something like, "You guys, we need to take advantage of this. It's our only time to have a pinterest-y home." So I'm doing my best to keep things as Pinterest-y as possible.

My roommate Paige's mom brought us a coffee table a few weeks ago. Paige expressed how her past roommates hadn't really "respected" coffee tables and would leave cups on them or scratch them with their bikes (nope, you didn't read that wrong, they scratched them with their bikes)... So I decided that it'd be best if we avoid getting on Paige's coffee-table-bad-side and that I should make some coasters.

I saw a tutorial on none other than... Pinterest, for Scrabble tile coasters.

1. I love Pinterest.
2. I love games.
3. I specifically love Scrabble.
4. I love cheap DIYs.
5. I love you (needed to come up with a fifth thing, and it's true... I love you for reading my ramblings, among other things.)

So I made coasters! I found a game of Scrabble for $1.99 at a thrift store. I bought an abundance of cork board at Target for $6.00 (I used less than 1/4 of what I bought, so we'll say I used $1.50 worth of cork board.) I bought Elmer's wood glue for $1.63 (or something like that, I don't remember exactly. I'm going to say I used $.47 of it.) I already had Modge Podge. I already had an exacto knife. So I made six, custom made, real cute coasters for a grand total of... $3.96. Not bad... AND, the good news is, if you want me to make you some, I've got everything I need minus the old, thrift store Scrabble game (which can be easily tracked down). I'd love to make you some! And then maybe you can have a more Pinterest-y home, too.

(These are going to make Paige really happy.)

3 comments:

Aunt Cindy said...

I love this idea...fun Christmas ideas. Do you have my name?

Jessie said...

Did you see that Pinterest has scrabble Christmas ornaments. Just a thought. Love the coasters!

Valeria said...

very cute!