Saturday, October 6, 2012

How I Decorate a Room: Part 5.


How I decorate a room... I see an idea. I dream about it for a long time. I get the stuff I need to do it. And then I do. Or if I can't do it, I find someone who can do it to help me. Case in point...

Back in June, a blog that I read, Iowa Girl Eats, posted on her Friday Favorites a picture of a cheap old bookshelf that was transformed with a little bit of paint and an old pallet. I loved the idea and thought it'd be fun for the new room. So I started dreaming...

And then my cousin Julie told me she had an old bookshelf and wanted to know if I wanted it for my new place. Why yes, yes I did. Because I had something in mind for that old bookshelf.

And then I hear my aunt Cindy telling me about how she found some pallets that she was using for her vacation Bible school and she was really excited about them because they were clean and perfect for what she was needing. "Dearest aunt Cindy, what are you going to do with those pallets when VBS is over?" "Nothing, do you want them?" "Why yes... yes I do."

So then I knew I needed to paint the ol' thing, and really liked the white idea. So, I used my resources (Pinterest) and found a way to paint furniture without sanding it. (Sanding stinks... you know you don't like it either.) So I went and bought paint with my dear roommate Kathryn.

And then comes the tricky part... I had a bookshelf. I painted that bookshelf. I had pallets. I had the idea. Now how am I going to cut the pallets, drill some holes, and nail them on to my bookshelf. I didn't have the tools... or the skills.

So I asked my friend at work who is really handy. Plus I really like hanging out with him and his wife. "Hey, you and your wife should come over to my house, I'll make you dinner, you can make my bookshelf, and then we can play games." (Playing games is what we do.) His response? "No thanks." Rejected... But another co-worker, who overheard our conversation said, "I'll help!"

So my friend Lee from work came over... and we made a bookshelf! Well... he made a bookshelf, I just helped where I could. Here are some pictures documenting the evening...

 (Pulling apart the pallets. Did I mention my friend is buff, tattooed,  and Asian?)

 (Arranging the order of the different colors of boards.)

 ("Oh hey, Lee!)

(Lee cut the boards to size, drilled a hole where we wanted them (so the wood wouldn't split), then nailed them on.) 

 (Lee and his impressive handiwork!) 

 (Me... I guess you could say I'm the brains behind the operation.)

 (Bigsby was checking it out...)

(With books on it... I've decide to take out a lot of the stuff so you 
can actually see the wood behind it. But you get the idea...)

A big thanks to Lee! I couldn't have done the project without him!

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I love it when men do manly things. Maybe Lee can teach Jon so I can watch Jon work. Cute bookshelf! Nice job!