Monday, April 28, 2014

A good salad.

(Yes, I realize it looks like I had more topping than salad but I hadn't mixed it up yet…)

I can really enjoy a good salad. I wish I was that person who ate salads all the time… but I'm not going to pretend to be. I love my fair share of pulled pork sandwiches, general tso's chicken, pepperoni pizza, pad thai, and the like. But occasionally (I said, occasionally) I like a good salad. And I made one the other day.

It was easy and delicious and just in case you're looking for a new salad... I thought I'd tell you about it. The recipe is actually Pioneer Woman's but I made a few alterations because I can. I don't think she'd mind. She seems pretty cool. 

The ingredients:
-Lettuce (or some sort of green)
-Chicken (confession: to keep it simple, I just bought the pre-cooked chicken breast in the deli meat section)
-Blue cheese
-Apple (I have been going for braeburns lately although my heart will always long for honeycrisps. At $4.99/lb, my heart is going to have to hold off until they go on sale)
-Dried cranberries (PW's recipe calls for dried cherries but those are hard to find and are more expensive)
-Red onion
-Maple Dijon dressing (that's where the Pioneer Woman comes in, the recipe for this is below)

You chop up all of these ingredients and throw them together and have yourself a deliciously refreshing salad. I have been making mine for lunch and have been quite satisfied. Hope you enjoy!

The dressing:
-1 tablespoon (heaping) dijon mustard
-1 tablespoon maple syrup (more to taste)
-1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (more to taste)
-1/4 cup olive oil
-salt and pepper to taste

In a small jar, add all of the above ingredients. Put the lid on the jar and shake well to mix the dressing.

1 comment:

Valeria said...

Sounds delicious and reminds me of my fav salad at Panera: Fuji Apple Chicken Salad.