Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Deck ideas.


One of my favorite things to do is to make a space beautiful. Whether that's decorating a new wall or putting up decorations for a holiday… I love it. I live in a relatively small house which means I quickly ran out of spaces to makeover. The weather has recently started getting nice and I spent some time on my deck the other day… I love being outside. And the deck is a blank canvas… Which means I have found my next project!

First thing's first: I needed some seating. Eating outside is one of my favorite things to do so I wanted a table and some chairs. I really wanted to buy something cute from World Market but I'm on a budget so a simple table and chairs from Target did the trick.

Next was lighting. I have an affinity for white Christmas lights so I bought some of those and hung them around. I have grander ideas for these lights… but the house I'm living in is not my own so I kept it simple.

I decided that a table, chairs, and lights were about all my budget could handle for one weekend… so I stopped there. I have visions of having friends over and eating good meals, laughing til our sides hurt, having dance parties, playing games, and having deep conversations late into the night. I want an atmosphere that will be conducive to all of that. And I think I can do it. Here are some pictures/ideas I've seen that have got me dreaming…

The way I would actually like to hang the lights. Maybe someday…

Or like this...

Planting some lavender. I want plants. And I love the smell of lavender. So this just makes sense.

Mason jar lanterns/lights. You knew there had to be something like this…

Or this...

Succulents are all the rage. I wouldn't mind a table centerpiece like this…

Some kind of bench would be nice. (I'll take the view, too. Alright, thanks.)

Maybe I'll give an herb garden another try. I failed last time. But if at first you don't succeed…

Pots with personality? Yes, please.

Cushions and pillows for my patio furniture. I have mixed feelings about these… I really like the idea - but I have a feeling I would accidentally leave them outside and it would rain. Is that a risk I am willing to take?

Flower shadow boxes. I like this idea a lot!

And maybe a tree swing? It wouldn't be on the deck but the deck would overlook it which could be lovely.

Oh, the deck I could have...

1 comment:

Norma said...

Be aware of cushions and Deitrich! He could have a grand old time chewing on them. I speak from experience since our first dog chewed our newly purchased cushions. Your deck ideas are lovely! Can I come and laugh until my side hurts?