Thursday, April 3, 2014

The day I started blogging...


One of the ideas that I came across when I was experiencing some writer's block a while back was to write about "the day I started blogging… What was I thinking?" That's a good question. I was a 21 year old college junior who thought I was unique in the way that I appreciated the little things in life and decided to make it public rather than keep it to myself. (Now I realize I'm not that unique…) And I loved (and continue to love) things like coffee shops, movie popcorn, benches, condensation on cups, TV shows… And I wanted to write about it - but not just for myself for some reason - I wanted it to be public. (I'll blame it on my generation because we like to be the center of attention. Or my dad - because he taught me how to be a drama queen - love you, De Da!)

Some days… a lot of days… I feel silly that I still blog. I'm now 26. (It's been 5 and a half years. Holy. cow.) I work in finance. (What?) I should be spending my down time cleaning my kitchen or doing laundry or something, right? I've only got like 46 consistent readers - most of which are my family. I'm worried that "with my old age" I'm losing my ability to notice the little things. And I can be so insecure at times that I'm afraid to even tell people about my blog because: 1. all of the reasons listed above, 2. the title is kind of ridiculous - an old MuteMath song… really?

But then… Then I remember how great I feel after finishing a new wreath for my front door and how I can't wait to write about it. Then something funny at work happens and a guy tells me that my sweater is ugly and it's got to be documented somewhere. Then someone tells me that they started writing letters to the people in their life because they saw the idea that I am writing letters on my blog. Then my "grandma" Lois tells me yet again that she loves reading and that she wants me to write a book. Then I get my confidence back and don't ever want to stop.

So yes. I'm 26. I work in finance. I love driving with the windows down, playing SkipBo on my iPhone every night until I fall asleep, ridiculous TV shows the The Vampire Diaries, laughing so hard that I cry, the way that batter looks in a Kitchenaid mixer, listening to a song on repeat because I love it so much and once is not enough… And I love writing about it. And I love that all 46 of you read it. And I'm thankful for that. Here's to five and a half more years of "noticing my heart." ;) (You knew that I had to end it with a cheesy line. I just had to.)

(My first post ever… Written on November 16, 2008. Entitled "Ah hey…" Sounds like me.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this and I absolutely love you.