Saturday, September 10, 2011

Yellow flowers.

A couple of weeks ago I came to work with a post-it note on my desk from one of my friends from high school that I hadn't seen in about 3 years. I guess one of his friends works at JPMorgan too, and he was touring the building with him over the weekend and came across my desk so he left me a note. The fun note prompted me to mention him on Twitter, and him to send me a Facebook message, and us to set up a time to hang out because it had been so long... (Gotta love social networking, bringing people together, right?) I was a little anxious... you never know if it's going to be awkward or not when you catch up with an old friend. But we met over frozen yogurt and caught up on what we've missed over the last three years, talked a lot about music (that's what we do), and had a really good time. Turns out he's moving to Chicago (this weekend, bummer timing...) but we set up a time to hang out again because he's really into photography and I desire to be really into photography, so I asked if he would teach me a few things...

So this week we got together again. He said, "So, you know those yellow flowers that are lining all of the roads everywhere. Maybe we can go track down some of those and take some pictures." Sadly... I had no idea what he was talking about. I hadn't noticed any yellow flowers anywhere. We drove right across the street from our frozen yogurt meeting spot (he must really like frozen yogurt...) and there was a whole field of them! He tried to teach me a few things about photography. He talked about "aperture", and "ISO" and "shutter speed" and all of this great stuff... that I can't really remember. I mainly listened and shook my head yes like I was following. I wish I took notes, because I don't really think I grasped a thing...

One thing I did grasp though, was that there are all of these beautiful, yellow flowers around and I have been completely missing them. Now that I'm aware, they are everywhere and I'm loving them. So you should be aware, too. That's the point of this post: open your eyes to the yellow flowers around you. The end. (Oh, and I suppose I learned a couple of things about photography, these pictures aren't that bad, right?)

2 comments:

Momma said...

Are those "yellow flowers" called sunflowers? Just askin'. I love you and your blog!

Aunt Cindy said...

Nice pictures. I got my cannon book reading on the road trip. Maybe I will learn more and we can work together on some pictures. I actually think you are doing a great job right now.