Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Try-It Tuesday: Chicken Pot Pie

After last's week flop, I decided that I needed to try a recipe that was a sure bet. So where did I turn? None other than the Pioneer Woman! My friend Jessie had borrowed my Pioneer Woman cookbook and returned it to me yesterday, so I picked it up and saw a recipe for Chicken Pot Pie and decided that I had to try it.

One thing about Pioneer Woman's recipes is that they always smell delicious during preparation, which I love. I actually made the filling and the crust last night so I had an easy, stress free preparation today after work. Well, it looked pretty tasty when I pulled it out of the oven, and smell yummy, too. I had high hopes... and then I cut into it... and it was crazy runny, the vegetables were a bit too crisp, and the overall all temperature was just warm (and I even cooked it an extra 10 minutes.) The taste was delicious and the crust was great! The whole family agreed that the taste was spot on. The texture though... was lacking. I don't know what it is... whenever I make PW recipes they are always runny. What is it? Do we use different cream? Or a different kind of pot? I follow the directions exactly... What am I doing wrong? So, the verdict: a do-over, I just need to figure out how to thicken it up.

A semi-successful Try-It Tuesday. Not a "ewwww, sick!" like last week, but for sure not quite the "two thumbs up!" that I'm going for. (This recipe was in Pioneer Woman's cookbook, here is a similar recipe for Turkey Pot Pie found on her website though.) (Also, the above picture is horrible. And we've got my brother Cory in the background making the face that he is because he doesn't like chicken pot pie... he had a turkey sandwich instead. Lame!)

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Here are my thoughts...more flour would thicken it up. And the cooking of the veggies needs to be mostly done or all done before putting it in the oven. PW doesn't really give a time on it, but that's how it should be. Man, I have been dreaming of chicken pot pie..maybe next week!

Aunt Cindy said...

The picture of Cory made me laugh, just why did he come home for college tonight. He knew it was Try it Tuesday! No adventure in him.

bethany jones said...

I agree with the vegetables comment... And maybe it's because you didn't use a pie dish. It is possible it was harder to cook because your dish is deep and small instead of shallow and large. I use a ceramic pie tin/plate. I would also look at other recipes to see other ingredients that people use so you can add those. Miss you!