Tuesday, August 14, 2012

(Re)Try-It Tuesday: Birthday Style.

(Fact: I love making birthday cakes for people I love.)

Today is a very special day... It is my mom's birthday! She requested a Try-It Tuesday favorite... and I wasn't about to say no. She really likes Pioneer Woman's Cajun Chicken Pasta. I've made this recipe a few times, and I like it, but every time I think, "I could make this better." Not because Pioneer Woman isn't amazing... she is, in fact, amazing. It's just for some reason I can't thicken my sauce, or choose my pasta, or cook my vegetables the way that I should. I added some flour to my sauce which thickened it a bit. And I used different pasta (bowtie instead of fettuccine) which made it easier to eat. And I cut my vegetables smaller which made them easier to fit in your mouth. But it still could be better. I'll get there someday... I'm sure of it.

Even though I'm not quite satisfied with this recipe yet, my family was, and I bet you would be, too. So you should check it out.

Cajun Chicken Pasta

I also made my mom a chocolate birthday cake. I cheat and use a Duncan Hines devil's food cake mix. But I did homemake the frosting. My mom was a big fan of the frosting, because I used almond flavoring.... My brothers... not as much. Oh well, you can't win 'em all, right?

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

(I was afraid the recipe of the pasta wasn't going to make enough 
so I made a recipe and a half of it. Holy cow. There was TONS.)

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I would have loved the frosting too. Happy birthday Norma. You're pretty great!