Monday, October 7, 2013

Another post about baking...

(Full of fall spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves...)

I had a rough day today. It's a work thing. I'm weary and am ready for a change and things aren't moving forward... they are moving backward. At least today they were. I signed, and vented, and walked (that's what I do to clear my head at work), and vented some more. (None of which are good ways to deal with frustration.) I went to dinner with my aunts. I sang my heart out on the drive home. Nothing really did it. I was grumpy.

Then I baked. And I don't know what it is about baking... It works. every. time. It combines the things I love... structure, creativity, food, people... and it takes me out of my self-centered, worldy self and back closer to the woman God wants me to be. Tonight I made Gimme Some Oven's Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting. I didn't actually try a cupcake because they are for tomorrow night, but I tried the batter and the frosting and I think they have the potential to be some of the best pumpkin cupcakes I've made. These pumpkin cupcakes saved my day...

Well, ultimately, Jesus saved my day. He has wired me to get peace from little things like baking. And I'm thankful. Thankful that that's what it takes to bring me back to Him after a day full of sighing, venting, and walking.
(This makes me happy... Oven lights are the best thing.)

(You know what else is great? Taking perfectly peaked cupcakes out of the oven.)

(Tada! Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting.)

1 comment:

Valeria said...

Those look divine! I'm sorry for your rough day, too, but am so glad you have been blessed with such a lovely gift. Just wish I was closer to enjoy it too;)