Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Katie Series: Thoughts On My Favorite Bible Verse(s).


My favorite Bible verse since high school has always been Jeremiah 29:11.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plan to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

God knows the plan and it's a good one. People probably hear me say this a lot... but the truth is, God's plan is always better than mine, and this verse is a good reminder of that.

Lately I've been praying over another verse a lot. My friend and I are reading the book Beautiful Battlefields by Bo Stern and it's all about how God is growing you during the hard times. It encouraged us to memorize Genesis 50:20.

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

One thing that sets Christianity apart is that it doesn't promise a perfect life. You will never hear "come to Jesus and all of your problems will be fixed." (And if you do, run the other direction, that's not the real gospel.) We live in a fallen world and life is for sure going to be hard. Satan's going to try to use that hard stuff to hurt us, but God can and will do good things through it. That's why I like this verse. Our hard times can really bring us down, but God intends it for good, so more people can learn about Him.

That's good stuff.

No comments: