Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Try-It Tuesday: Peanut Butter Bars.


I tried a new recipe tonight. Chicken Pot Pie with Cornbread Crust. Gotta be honest... it was just ok. I'm confident that there have got to be better Chicken Pot Pie recipes out there. So I will continue looking...

In the meantime, I want to tell you about these Peanut Butter Bars I made the other day. My boss has been on military leave for the last three months and he came back yesterday. I asked his wife what his favorite treat was so that I could do what I know how to do best... bake for him. He requested these Peanut Butter Bars. I love clear direction. This recipe is easy... with no oven required. (So I suppose I didn't technically bake for him...) But for sure a winner of a recipe! I don't have the original source so I've typed out the recipe for you. If you are a fan of peanut butter and chocolate... then this is the recipe for you.

Peanut Butter Bars

Ingredients
1 cup salted butter (melted)
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 (11 oz.) bag milk chocolate chips

Instructions
Combine all ingredients, except chocolate chips, in a medium sized bowl. Stir until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour peanut butter mixture into a 9x13 pan. Melt chocolate chips. (The recipe says to microwave them at 50% power for 1-2 minutes but I am pretty stinking convinced that any time I microwave chocolate chips I burn them. This time proved my theory be true.) I'd recommend using a double boiler or a pot of bowling water with a heat-proof bowl on top and melting the chocolate chips that way to avoid them from burning. Spread chocolate with a spatula over peanut butter mixture. Refrigerate bars for one hour. Cut while bars are still cool. Enjoy!

I made Pumpkin Roll Bars that were a hit with the co-workers as well. I didn't actually have any of these (trying to watch the sweets so I only allowed myself to partake in one and chose the peanut butter and chocolate over the pumpkin.) These bars are all the deliciousness of a pumpkin roll without the hassle of rolling it. Now that's a good idea...

P.S. The pumpkin cupcakes that I blogged about yesterday... I tried one tonight... they were amazing.

No comments: