Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Try-It Tuesdays: Chicken Tamale Casserole

Their picture...

Hey, it's Tuesday! And I cooked dinner and the recipe involves chicken... again. So I like chicken... Back off! Tonight's recipe was a first for Try-It Tuesdays though... It was *drum roll please* ... a casserole! Yay for casseroles! Ok, I've got to be honest. I was kind of a casserole snob. When I thought of the word "casserole" I thought of luke warm, shady-looking, church potluck casserole. I don't know why. But I did. But then I when I thought again, and tried to believe the best about casseroles like I strive to do in life ("believe the best", that is, not "think about casseroles") all of these amazing casseroles that my mom makes gradually made their way to the surface of my forgetful brain (e.g. chicken enchilada casserole, mmmm) so I decided, "Abby, it's time to give casseroles another chance." And that's what I did. Tonight, on Tryyyyy-It Tuesday! (I said that in my head just like Ryan Seacreast says, "Tonight, on Aaaaamerican Idol!" Just sayin'.)

ANYWAY, one night a couple of weeks ago I went through Cooking Light's 100 Easy Chicken Recipes and found quite a few that seemed Try-It Tuesday worthy. When I came across this recipe I thought, "Well, it has the potential to be really great or really weird." And because that's probably the same thing that people think about me :) I decided to give it a try. Chicken Tamale Casserole. It had easy ingredients (no chopping required! Well, I suppose I shredded the chicken...) It took no time to prepare (I got home, started whipping it up, and was done in 5 minutes when I had allotted 30.) It was reasonably healthy (lots of substitutions for things that could have made it real bad for you). And the best part of all... it was delicious! I'd recommend it, fo sho.

Try-It Tuesday: Chicken Tamale Casserole? Success!
My picture. Not so appealing. But I'm telling you it was gooood.

P.S. Sorry if this post is a little out there. We've had 60 degree weather the last two days and it's made me a bit... silly.

P.S.S. Shout out to my friend Alan who unofficially inspired this post because he said I should enter a casserole contest.

No comments: