Saturday, March 7, 2009

Oh, camping...

Last night some of my friends and I went camping. I was a doubter. I was a firm believer that camping requires planning... and big tents and sleeping bags! But we, well my friend Jonathan, managed to pull it off.

We sat around the campfire. Told ghost stories (we really did! V even looked some up on her Blackberry... that's 21st century camping for you.) Ate s'mores. Danced a bit. Played some Guesstures. Then we went, or attempted to go, to bed.

Sarah and I got to share a 2-person tent. It was so short that my legs couldn't extend all the way, so that was a bit uncomfortable. And then the coyotes started going crazy. And then it got really cold. And then someone started snoring. I think the hour from 2:15 am to 3:15 am was the longest hour of my life. BUT, Sarah and I eventually got smart and hopped in Jon's car and slept the remainder of the night there. My first time ever sleeping in a car overnight.

We woke up to a BEAUTIFUL morning. The weather was amazing and the sun was out. We packed up and then went to Cafe Berlin for breakfast. We all felt like we were on vacation. It was a wonderful retreat from college life. Now we are back preparing presentations and studying for midterms but there is something special about waking up outdoors that will stick with me for the rest of this crazy day.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I've always wanted to try camping but Jon isn't interested.

abby! said...

What?! We should take a girls trip this summer sometime (before June 15 that is...)

Jennifer said...

Hey Abby! That's great that you guys finally went! I'm sad I missed it though...maybe another time? miss you all!