Sunday, April 4, 2010

Top 10, babay!

My mom has asked me before why I am always looking for new recipes when the current recipes that we have are already good. Sometimes I tell her, "It's just a hobby, Mom. I like looking for good recipes." I still don't think she TOTALLY gets it, but the other day I was reading a baking blog and the author put it better than I have in the past:

"Even though I may have a legitimate recipe for something, I never stop trying out new ones just in case I discover something better. This is probably why I bake so ridiculously much; I need to test out every single recipe just so I know which one is superior compared to the rest. It may sound nuts, but it seems somewhat tangible in my head. Does that make me crazy? Maybe."

So that's why I'm constantly trying out new recipes... But you know one recipe that I have decided has "arrived" and there is no need to search for a greater recipe? My sugar cookie recipe. It's great. (It's not me that came up with it, I just found it online and altered it a tiny bit so that's why I can say that it's great without sounding egotistical.) I've mentioned this recipe before, here actually. (I now use 1/2 tsp vanilla (instead of 1) and 1/2 tsp. almond extract for the frosting, just fyi.)

Anyway, do you want to know how I know that it has arrived? My uncle Dave is a man of lists. He has made personal lists for everything: top 10 movies, top 10 cookies, ok, so I can't think of any of his other lists, but I know he has more. Anyway, this man loves cookies, so he has created a list of his top 10 favorite cookies. Today, after having some of my sugar cookies, he officially bumped off oatmeal raisin from his list and added my sugar cookies to it! WHAT an honor!

No comments: