Monday, June 14, 2010

Kansas.

Growing up in Missouri, I have had to sit through a lot of conversations where people hate on the state of Kansas because “it’s flat” and “there’s nothing there.” I’m sick of it and it’s time I speak out:

I was born in Kansas and lived there until I was four. Nearly all (but one aunt and one cousin) of my extended family from BOTH sides live in Kansas. I was born a Jayhawk lover and a Tiger disliker (I would say hater, but I don’t like that word…) It’s in my blood. I just love the state.

I had the pleasure (yes, I said pleasure) of driving through Kansas on my way to Colorado and I’m just as convinced as ever that it’s a beautiful state. There’s something simple about it, and I like that. It has a color palette of just about ever shade of green and gold and I like that. Yes… it’s flat, but it’s refreshing to be able to see forever with no obstructions whatsoever and I like that. I like it all.

I once had the epiphany that I think that Kansas was a gift from God to the settlers as they were traveling West: flat, easy land before getting to the treacherous Rockies. Thank you, Kansas. You were the calm before the storm that help the settlers make it through and discover the rest of our beautiful country. (Ha… that’s ridiculous, but maybe true, who knows…)

1 comment:

Jessie said...

That's great insight! Having never driven through Kansas, I will keep this in mind. :)