Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lightning Bugs.

I met my good friend Corrie about two years ago when she moved from Portland to Kansas City. When we hang out I often hear comparisons between Kansas City and Portland. She's really good about not saying one city is better than the other, she just states more matter of fact differences between the two places, and I enjoy hearing about them.

One of the things Corrie gets really excited about is the fact that we have lightning bugs here in Kansas City. I think I always assumed that everywhere had lightning bugs... but it's not true apparently. She said the only time she had ever seen them was in some foreign country (I feel like it was Germany or Denmark or something...) I've always liked lightning bugs. Starting from a very young age it was always a game to try to catch them in a jar... They inevitably would die within the span of an evening but I didn't stop trying to feed them grass and give them love and prolong their life. So, those fond childhood memories combined with this new information that Kansas City is pretty lucky for lightning bugs to live here... makes me love them even more. Tonight, on the drive home from Corrie's I saw quite a few lightning bugs and it brought a smile to my face... so I decided they were for sure blog-worthy specimens.

(I wish I could take credit for the above picture, but I can't. I googled lightning bugs and this is what I found.)

No comments: