Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Escape music.

I've been studying just about non-stop for the past week for my Series 6 license test that I am taking tomorrow. I was offered my job based with the understanding that I had to pass two licensing tests to actually get it. So I've been paid to study 8-5 for the last week (plus they expect you to study in the evenings and over the weekend, too.) I've never studied this much in my life. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've studied more this week than I did over an entire semester of college (uh, what does that tell you...)

I think I would have gone insane if it weren't for the fact that I got to listen to music while studying. (Well, there were a few points that I maybe did go momentarily insane. Like this afternoon when I started giggling for no reason and couldn't stop.) It's been amazing how much of an escape music has been for me this week. There were times when I wanted to stand on my chair and sing my heart out to the class (because I think I'm more designed to do that than talk about mutual funds, but whatev) but I refrained. Anyway, there have been multiple moments this week where I thought, "Man, this music is amazing. This brings me back to the reality that life is more than this test." Below are links to the songs and artists that have helped me escape. And if you're a praying kind of person, I'd love it if you prayed for me tomorrow morning as I take my test. A big thank you to you for praying for me and a big thank you to these artists who reminded me of the greater things in life. :)

"Grass Rides" by Goldmund (I'm pretty sure if I got married tomorrow, I would maybe walk down the aisle to this song, just saying. Also, Goldmund was introduced to me today by my brother Joel and may already be tied with Balmorhea for my favorite instrumental music.)

"Movement 1: In The Countenance Of Kings" by Sufjan Stevens (I couldn't actually find a video of this song so I'm showing you some other Sufjan that was equally wonderful to me this week: "From The Mouth Of Gabriel".)

"10 Thousand" by John Mark McMillan (I want the girl who's singing back up vocal's life. How amazing would it be to just sing beautiful harmonies for a living?)

"The Gathering" by Michael Giacchino (LOST music. Some of the songs on this soundtrack make me fear for my life a bit, but the pretty ones are powerful.)

Alright, well, the list goes on but I'll be done with that.

No comments: