Friday, October 1, 2010

Pumpkin.

Growing up I didn't really like pumpkin pie. I always thought it was because pumpkin was gross, but it turns out it's because I think the texture is gross. Pumpkin, in fact, is awesome. I now LOVE pumpkin flavored things. Pumpkin cheesecake. Pumpkin spice lattes. Pumpkin bread. Pumpkin cupcakes. I love pumpkin.

I was excited for the arrival of fall so I could bake with pumpkin again. The other night I attempted the Pumpkin Cake with Butterscotch Filling and Brown Sugar Icing recipe from Annie's Eats. The recipe was way more difficult than I anticipated and didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. I took it to work and everyone said they liked it, but who would honestly come up to me and say, "So, Abby, I just feel like you kind of missed the mark this time." (Well, Jessie might.) Anyway, if you're up for a difficult cake and mediocre results, this recipe is for you! BUT, the moral of the story is that I baked with pumpkin, and that was fun.
This afternoon I'm baking with pumpkin again. Trying another Annie's Eats recipe, Pumpkin Butterscotch cookies (I just love the idea of pumpkin and butterscotch, hopefully it'll actually turn out this time.) They just got out of the oven and I'm hoping they turned out well. I have high hopes.
Anyway, yay for baking with pumpkin! I think the next think I'm going to try is a pumpkin cheesecake. I wis you could come over and enjoy some with me!

2 comments:

sarah said...

ohmygosh. today while i was making pumpkin squares, i was thinking about how i was going to write a blog entry called "pumpkin" and talk about all my favorite pumpkin things. then i saw your blog entry, and i'm now convinced we're twins that were separated at birth. which is fine with me because parent trap and it takes two were my favorite movies. let's reunite at summer camp!

Jessie said...

And I liked it. I think it's tough when you build something up in your mind and have high hopes for it, it can end up being disappointing.