Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I'm missing it...

On September 1st I got excited because fall was near. It officially became fall on September 22nd but I've realized something lately...

I keep on waiting for fall to arrive and I'm missing the fact that it's already here. I think half of the beautiful season I'm waiting for it to become "truly fall-like" and therefore kind of ignore the gloriousness of the entirety of the season. For example, in September I kept on thinking, "I can't wait for it to get cool outside, it'll be fall when it's cool." Well, it's cool now, and I haven't really acknowledged that it's here and it's wonderful. Now I'm waiting for the leaves to change, and I'm thinking, "Fall will be perfect when the leaves start changing." Fall is already beautiful. And I'm missing it because I keep on waiting for the next lovely thing to arrive.

I think we all do this. Maybe not with fall (you're probably not as obsessed as I am), but we are constantly looking forward to the next thing instead of enjoying our current surroundings. We need to stop. I need to stop. I need to start enjoying fall now, because before I know it the leaves will fall off the trees and turn brown and the cool air that I once found refreshing will turn into a freezing wind that won't go away until March. I need to stop waiting for fall (and more importantly life) to be perfect and start enjoying it for what it is now. So that's my goal. Amen. (Ha, do you feel like I just preached a sermon, because I do...)

(Fact: I need to go out and do some serious picture taking when the leaves start to change (not that I'm not enjoying it now, but if the leaves don't change you can't tell it's fall) because I keep on using the same picture to represent fall. My bad.)

No comments: