Friday, July 9, 2010

Homemade Ice Cream

Lately I've really been in the mood to make homemade ice cream. It seems like 4th of July is the time when everyone busts out their old makers and some of my favorite blogs have been writing about ice cream recipes lately so I really wanted to take a crack at it. I tweeted (yep, I love Twitter) that I was contemplating buying an ice cream maker and my aunt Cindy chimed in that she would give me hers. We met for lunch yesterday so I could get it from her and I came home really excited to make some ice cream!
Then I found out I had to buy tons of ice... and tons of rock salt... and this unknown stuff called "ice cream mix"... And the really exciting task of making homemade ice cream quickly became expensive and a pain in the butt. (Sorry, Cindy, but thanks anyway...) I knew there had to be something more high tech than that. I'd seen bloggers and Ina Garten (yep, I love the Food Network) use them so I knew they existed. So I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond (because I had a gift card from my friend David) and found a beautiful, carefree, homemade ice cream maker by Cuisinart. Thank you, Cuisinart, for making life easier...

The only problem was that I had to wait 16 hours and 24 minutes (yep, the directions ACTUALLY say 16 hours and 24 minutes) for the bowl to freeze. So tonight, finally, after months of waiting (and when I say months, I mean like 2.5 days) I finally made some homemade vanilla ice cream. It was delicious! The end.

3 comments:

Valeria said...

Mmm. I feel like I've seen ice cream recipes everywhere too. I always cross my fingers that the recipe won't say "then put everything in an ice cream maker." Ha. Cause that's when my dreaming ends. How much was your lovely Cuisinart?

Aunt Cindy said...

It is okay that I drove thousands of miles to deliver the freezer, it made your blog. You can give the freezer to your mother, or see if your cousin Christina wants it. Or give it back and I will store it for the next person that needs it.

Jessie said...

Coffee ice cream please!