Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Singing.


I love to sing. I think it started early with Barney, The Little Mermaid, and the sort. When I was little, I wanted my job to be to sing as the voice of some Disney princess (let’s be honest, I still wouldn’t mind being the next Ariel or Belle.) I also credit my ability to sing harmony to the boy bands I listened to in middle school. I remember one afternoon when I was in 5th grade, I was listening to a 98 Degrees song (“Because Of You”, just in case you were curious) and I started singing with the guy that sang in the background, and it sounded really cool so I kept on rewinding it and playing it over and over again. Later, I realized that that was the first time I sang harmony.

I thought my “singing career” was over when I didn’t make the musical “Bye, Bye Birdie” in 6th grade. I stuck with choir and was lucky to go to a school with a really solid program and learned a lot from my time in the alto section. I started singing for my youth group and took voice lessons in high school and eventually tried and made the team to sing for “big church” when I was a senior in high school. I continued singing for a campus ministry in college and am back singing at church now that I’ve graduated. There you have it, my entire history as a singer (sorry I gave it you even though you didn’t ask for it.)

In the last 6 months I’ve started singing with my friend Rob, who has written a lot of music. We recorded a little homemade album (pictured above) in his basement, had a mini concert at his house and then last week we had a concert for about 200 people at a church in Portland. It has been a lot of fun! My dream job would secretly (or not so secretly) be to be a musician for a living, but I am careful to not get my hopes up and am just enjoying singing along at this point.

I suppose this blog post is more for me than you. I’ve just been thinking lately how much I love to sing, and sat down to blog about it and unexpectedly began rehashing how I got where I am today (not that it's anywhere special, just somewhere where I get to sing and enjoy doing it). Overall, I’ve been singing all my life. I love it. It makes me happy. The end.

1 comment:

Valeria said...

I don't think I ever heard your singing history...so I love that you shared it here! I'm so glad 98 Degrees played a role in it too ;) So I have a secret wish (or not so secret) to do a voice for a cartoon character - weird, I know. How about we be a joint character? I speak, you sing?